Wednesday 5 March 2014

Glitches...

An interesting new avenue...

I've found that some MacBooks running certain versions of photoshop do a weird thing when you drag and drop multiple files while the workspace is almost entirely off the edge of the screen - when I load a new image and drag the workspace back onto the screen without letting go of the trackpad I get interesting pixellated distortions, which can be craftily screen-grabbed and blown up from 72dpi to 300dpi (on a setting that preserves hard edges) and subsequently cropped and re-framed for further usage.


In some cases a little editing and adjustment is required to remove small areas that don't quite gel with the overall image, but such cases are negligible, and the overall signal-to-noise ratio is good. I'm finding the resulting images strangely compelling, and intend to follow this method and see if it produces a viable body of work as I add new ones over forthcoming weeks.


My other work is so laboured, so time consuming and over-thought, that these almost-accidental digital abstractions provide a refreshing counterpoint. I'm going to make some experimental giclĂ©e prints of the best ones, I like the idea of digital error reborn as art print with nice thick colours on slightly off white paper.


Here's some early output...